The Willow Grove Grammar School K-Kids in Hackettstown has been designated as a “Distinguished Club” for the 2015-2016 year – the ONLY “Distinguished” K-Kids in the New Jersey District! Under the tutelage of School Nurse/Faculty Advisor Robin Gibbon, the club performed a plethora of projects including the following:
- Food Collection for the troops overseas (New Jersey Cares Holiday Shoe Box Campaign)
- 2nd Annual Veterans Day Tribute honoring 16 veterans who are related to students
- Made cards and wrote letters which were distributed to the veterans
- Send 100+ holiday cards to troops overseas
- Sent 50+ holiday cards to veterans at the VA hospital in Lyons, NJ
- Made Valentine Day Cards and sent them to veterans at the VA hospital
- Sent 50+ “Color A Smile” drawings with letters to the residents of Heath Village, a long-term care facility.
- Collected 802 pairs of shoes for the “Soles For Souls” project which were sent to impoverished Appalachian Mountain Communities
- Organized a the “Fly Your American Flag Everyday” campaign. The sent flyers to all Willow Grove families and neighbors, and were featured on WRNJ radio encouraging Hackettstown residents to fly their American Flag every day.
- Marched in the Hackettstown Memorial Day Parade with their “Kiwanis K-Kids Club of Willow Grove”, “Thank You Veterans”, “POW-MIA You Are Not Forgotten” and “We Support The Troops” banners.
- Invited a member of the American Legion to talk to our members about “Flag Etiquette”.
K-Kids is a Kiwanis Leadership Sponsored Program in grammar schools. Kiwanis also has similar programs in middle schools (Builders Club), high schools (Key Club) and colleges (Circle K). The goal of the Sponsored Leadership Programs is to teach children the joy and responsibility of helping others at an early age and provide them with a pathway throughout their academic career so that caring and sharing has become part of their DNA as they enter adulthood.
In recognition of this prestigious designation, New Jersey District Kiwanis Governor Anthony Affatati visited the Willow Grove Club on November 30th to present their banner patch and express his admiration and gratitude for their many accomplishments. In photo, in the back row among the K-Kids at Willow Grove School are left to right are Affatati, Willow Grove Principal Patrick McQueeney, Club Advisor Robin Gibbon and Past Kiwanis Governor Steve Gandley .
If you’d like further information about Kiwanis and its leadership programs, please phone or text Steve Gandley at 201-663-3593 or email at email@example.com